What Is Granite
Granite is a natural stone that is quarried from large stone deposits that are found in different parts of the world. Granite begins as a molten magma that flows into other rock structures and then cools off. In its natural state, granite is naturally rough and has a texture to it. When it is ground and polished, it becomes smooth and has a beautiful luster.
What Is Granite Made Up Of?
Granite is made up of several different types of minerals that give each slab a very unique and beautiful appearance. For example, a granite that is very high in feldspar will have a rich red or pink highlight. Other types of granite, like Mica, may have a brown or black veining while courts gives off peak, white or black hues to the stone.
Many people love granite because of the differentiation in the looks of the stone. For this reason, it’s very important that you select a slab of granite that has been quarried from the same stone to ensure that the color and the amount of veining are similar.
When you are shopping for granite, you will find that there are many ranges in the colors of the stone and achieving the look you want and having something unique is so fun. If you have questions about granite, then we will be glad to help you in the selection process.
What Are The Advantages Of Granite Countertops:
- Among the most beautiful countertop materials
- Accentuate the good looks of quality kitchen cabinets
- Natural stone for those who want an eco-friendly counter top
- Excellent strength and durability with proper care
- Resistant to scratches and damage from heat such as pans or hot hair tools
- Good stain resistance and easy to clean when sealed correctly
Are There Any Disadvantages To Granite Countertops?
- Improper sealing or failure to reseal granite when needed can lead to staining of this porous stone
- Poorly sealed granite may also harbor bacteria
- There are about 20 different colors varieties of granite while other materials are available in 100+ colors and patterns
- Corners may chip or break if a heavy object falls on them
- There are several types of countertops such as laminate or wood that are more affordable (if not as pretty or durable)
To summarize the strengths and weaknesses of granite countertops, the primary advantages this material provides are distinctive beauty and outstanding durability when properly maintained. The biggest potential drawback is staining that occurs when the homeowner either buys cheap granite countertops that haven’t been properly sealed or fails to reseal them when needed.
The good news is that most granite slabs are now sealed at the factory with a finish that will last at least five years and often longer. Plus, resealing granite countertops is quite easy and the sealer is affordable.